CRN Home

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lenovo To Buy IBM's x86 Server Business For $2.3 Billion

edited January 23

imageLenovo To Buy IBM's x86 Server Business For $2.3 Billion

Lenovo is acquiring IBM's x86 server business for $2.3 billion.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Told you so! Well, I told somebody when I heard that IBM was planning to sell its server biz to either Dell or Lenovo. Also, IBM had no incentive whatsoever to make Dell bigger or stronger.
  • YES! I hope Lenovo does a good house cleaning. We've had a long standing relationship with IBM xSeries and a good number of employees are just awful to deal with. Constant supply chain problems among other issues. Looking forward to sourcing xSeries through our favorite distributor (Synnex) once again so I don't have to deal with the abysmal reps at Tech Data (UGH) or Ingram Micro (DOUBLE UGH).
  • @Ben
    A Dell deal was NEVER going to happen. Dell just spent all its money going private, it's carrying a ton of debt, and aggressively cutting costs (reported layoffs coming as high as 20 percent). There's simply no way Michael Dell and Silver Lake could justify spending $2 billion on a commodity hardware biz with shrinking margins that just fell 16 percent in the last quarter. So even if IBM didn't care about making Dell stronger, Dell didn't have the money or flexibility to take on that business right now.