CRN Home

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloud Concerns: Today, Data Security Should Trump Worker Productivity

edited September 2013

imageCloud Concerns: Today, Data Security Should Trump Worker Productivity

In light of NSA surveillance activities, companies should focus more on cloud security instead of worker productivity benefits.

Read the full story here

Comments

• In order to build strong security which is better-suited to protect businesses from today’s variety of threats, IT security professionals and system administrators should engage in positive internal marketing for better system security, deliver improved education to build awareness with users, and actually engage users in the process of threat identification and detection. These users don’t have to be geeks or IT people; they can be average users who simply keep their eyes open to things that just don’t seem right. “People can become a detection system to improve organizational resilience.”
    http://coopermann.com/2013/08/01/it-security-and-engaging-users-to-reduce-vulnerability/
  • Robert, while I agree with many of the tenants of your article, such as many organizations looking at security from yesterday’s paradigm, I would like to ask that you consider a different perspective entirely; namely, that security must be at odds with productivity. Consider ways to add security while maintaining (or dare I say it, adding) productivity. Tech does exist to do this.

1) “Rightsize” access – the foundation of any security project is to ensure that users have access to only the stuff they should have access to.
    2) Automate content classification – Find tools to scan your infrastructure to see what’s out there and determine if it contains, for example, PII. Then mark it as such so users don’t have to.
    3) Encrypt at the end point – If the data is flying out of your building on USB drives, employee-owned iPads, or being posted to cloud-storage locations, make sure it’s encrypted before it goes.
    4) Secure the perimeter – Today’s “next-gen” firewalls keep the bad guys out and good guys productive.

Full disclosure, I work for Dell Software and we have solutions like these but we are certainly not the only vendor. As stated earlier, the trick here is to change the conversation from “restrict & deny” to “permit & enable.”

Bill Evans
  • For the wide spread adoption of cloud services, service providers should provide adequate levels of security and ensure data is not snooped on by anyone. I work for McGladrey and there’s a whitepaper on the website that aligns well with this article it talks about the importance of privacy and security of data hosted on cloud, readers will be interested in it “Cloud risks striking a balance between savings and security” @ http://bit.ly/16uLsgi